If you are still running iOS 4, for instance on a device such as the iPhone 3G or second-generation iPod touch that can't be upgraded to iOS 5, this ebook is for you! (The iOS 5 "edition" of this ebook is the Macworld iPhone 4S Superguide.)
You'll get started with a rundown of iPhone 4 parts and ports, and find directions for configuring many settings. Next up, you'll learn how to open your apps, get online, and maximize your effectiveness when typing on the tiny onscreen keyboard. As you continue reading, you'll find real-world help with using core apps from Apple, including Contacts, Phone, Mail, Messages, Camera, Photos, Videos, iPod, iTunes, YouTube, Safari, Maps, Calendar, iBooks, Stocks, Clock, and more. You'll also find advice on syncing media and data between your computer and your device, troubleshooting tips, and Macworld's top picks for third-party apps and accessories.
The ebook also talks about: • Using FaceTime video-conferencing • Organizing app icons in folders • Handling multitasking • Quitting an uncooperative app • Creating music playlists directly in the iPod app • Using multiple inboxes and threading in the Mail app • Taking better photos using iOS 4 features (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, 4G iPod touch) and High Dynamic Range (iPhone 4)
Questions that you'll find answers to include: • What do all the symbols that appear at the top of my screen mean? • What are background tasks? • What parental control options are available, and where do I access them? • How does the GPS chip work with location-related apps? • How do I "favorite" a contact and access her phone number quickly? • How do I assign a custom ringtone to a contact? • How do I set my iPhone phone number to do Caller ID? • How do I best control and use the camera? • How do I add and delete bookmarks from Safari? • How do I access convert video to view on my handheld device? • How do I send a photo as an email attachment? • How do I "scrub" (fast forward or rewind) more precisely in the iPod app? • How does the new Game Center app work?
Table of Contents
Meet the iPhone
• iPhone at a Glance Familiarize yourself with your device’s hardware features, including every button, switch, slot, and plug.
• StatusSymbols Sometimes your device communicates with icons instead of words. With this list, you’ll know exactly what it is trying to say. emails and text messages.
• Activate Your iPhone Get your iPhone up and running from home. Sign up for a cellular plan and learn the basics of data syncing.
• Settings Learn how to customize your device using the Settings app. Change your wallpaper, alert sounds, and more.
• Work with Apps Manage your apps with ease, and, if your device is running iOS 4, get the most out of it using folders and multitasking.
• Get Connected Get the low-down on Wi-Fi, EDGE, and 3G networks. We’ll show you how to connect and what precaution to take to protect your data.
• Typing Tips Master that virtual keyboard and take a crash course in typing for when you need to send out emails and text messages.
• Manage Contacts Create, sync, access, and organize all your contacts from your iPhone’s Contact List with ease.
• Use the Phone From making calls to answering voice mail, we’ll show you how to quickly navigate the iPhone’s most important features.
• Chat with Video The iPhone 4 and 4G iPod touch have front-facing cameras to make video chatting a breeze. Get to know the future with our simple guide to the FaceTime feature.
• Check E-mail Get the basics on how to set up an e-mail account and work with messages—including browsing your inbox and viewing attachments.
• Send Text Messages The Messages app offers a convenient way to have a brief conversation or share images and video. Learn how to carry on multiple conversations and other tricks.
Working with Multimedia
• Work with Photos and Videos We’ll show you how to get use the built-in camera, shoot video, and show off your creations to others.
• Navigate Music and Videos Learn how to sift through your media library easily, access some less-obvious features, purchase new multimedia items, and create playlists on the fly.
• Use YouTube Access streaming content from YouTube’s online video warehouse, for when you want to watch something other than synced videos.
• Smart Syncing Strategies Do you have more music, podcasts, and videos than will fit on your device? Learn how to get the most from the its storage.
• Convert Video With the help of some free or low-cost software, you can easily convert videos from your hard drive or other sources to enjoy on the go.
• Surf the Web Mobile Safari packs a lot of power. Navigate the Web, manage your bookmarks, and learn how to check RSS feeds.
• Maps and GPS Use the Maps app and GPS to find local businesses, get driving directions, and keep an eye on traffic.
• Schedule Your Day Get organized with smart calendar syncing and alarm settings. Here’s how to manage events and deadlines without missing a beat.
• Read Books With Apple’s iBooks app, you can buy and read books on your device. Learn how to do all of this in addition to making notes, highlighting, and adding bookmarks.
• Other Applications Meet your device’s other default applications: Calculator, Notes, Stocks, Weather, Clock, Voice Memos, and Compass.
• Access Apps Get acquainted with Apple’s App Store and learn how to download and manage any of the thousands of third-party apps available.
• Be Productive Use your device to accomplish more: compare prices, organize your searches, and transfer files.
• Stay Connected Stay up-to-date on the latest news, changing stock prices, and your friends’ Twitter feeds.
• Explore Multimedia These apps are an excellent aid for cutting loose and having fun. Listen to the radio, find movie times, edit photos, and, of course, play games.
• Tools of the Trade Every iPhone owner should learn these simple steps. They will help you recover fast from the most common problems.
• Fix Common Problems Whether you’re dealing with confusing sync options or a missing iPhone, here are our tips on how to solve some of the most common conundrums.
The Best Accessories
• Cases Keep your device safe from drops, scrapes, and other mishaps with these cases. Whether you want something stylish, practical, or rugged, we’ve got a case for you.
• Headphones Get better sound quality, Bluetooth support, and other interesting features, such as noise-canceling technology, when you invest in a good pair of third-party headphones.
• Speakers Find the right iPhone speakers for any setup with our recommendations for every size and budget.
• Power Accessories Keep your iPhone or iPod touch juiced and ready to go with these clever power-related gadgets.