With this ebook in hand, you'll get started with a rundown of iPhone 4S parts and ports, and then learn how to zoom through the iOS 5 Setup Assistant plus configure a few more important settings. Next up, you'll find out about a few iPhone fundamentals, including customizing your Home screen, handling multitasking, and using the new Siri voice feature to run your iPhone.
You'll also learn how to operate your iPhone as a modern telephone, with advice on tracking contacts and placing phone calls and video chats, and sending text messages, along with browsing the Web, working with email, and getting around in the Maps app.
For those interested in office productivity, the ebook discusses calendaring, iWork basics, using Microsoft Office and Google Docs, accessing files stored elsewhere, and printing. And, for times when you feel musical, it helps you with the Music and GarageBand apps.
But wait! there's more! You'll also learn about watching videos and using the iMovie app, taking photos and using iCloud's Photo Stream, and reading ebooks and more with iBooks, Newsstand, or a third party app... plus get started with world domination in the Game Center. There's also a thoughtful troubleshooting chapter, and a chapter that shares Macworld's recommendations for accessories, such as headphones and cases.
Questions that you'll find answers to include: • What do all the symbols that appear at the top of my screen mean? • What are the basics of connecting my iPhone to iCloud? • How can I set up my Contacts so that Siri knows who my "mother" is? • How do I create a Reminder using Siri? • How do I sync media between my Mac and my iPhone? • How do I make my own ringtones? • How can I take a photo and then share it with Twitter? • How do I add and delete bookmarks from Safari? • How do I stream audio and video from my iPhone to some other device? • How do I stream audio and video from my computer to my iPhone? • How do I know if I need to force-quit an app? • What should I do if I get the "Connect to iTunes" screen? • How can I make the battery last longer?
Table of Contents
• The iPhone 4S at a Glance Familiarize yourself with your device’s hardware features, including every button, switch, slot, and plug.
• Activate the iPhone Register and set up your iPhone and get it synced with your computer.
• Change Your Settings Set your device’s wallpaper, alert sounds, third-party app preferences, and more.
• Work with iOS Learn basic gestures, manage your apps with ease, multitask, sync wirelessly, set up your notifications, and start talking to Siri.
• Enter the iCloud Sign up with iCloud and store your documents, photos, music, and more in Apple’s wireless syncing and backup service.
• Download More Apps Master the App Store: Browse offerings, sign up for an account, and buy and update apps.
Connect and Communicate
• Manage Contacts Import, add, and share contacts on your iPhone.
• Use the Phone Master making and managing calls, customize phone settings, and check voicemail.
• Chat with Friends Chat with your fellow iPhone, iPhone and iPod touch users using Facetime and iMessage.
• Get Connected Learn about connecting over Wi-Fi and 3G, Internet hot spots, and secure networks
• Browse the Web Get familiar with mobile safari; navigate the Web; share, sync, and add bookmarks; and more.
• Check and Send Email set up your email accounts, navigate your inbox, organize messages, and share files.
• Navigate with Maps Put your iPhone’s screen to use with Maps search, view traffic, get directions, and add bookmarks.
• Get Organized Use the iPhone’s built-in Calendar, notes, and Contacts apps to file and arrange your digital life.
• iWork Get the skinny on Apple’s productivity apps Create documents in Pages, spreadsheets in numbers, and presentations in Keynote.
• Microsoft Office and Google Docs Work with your office files and unify your documents in the cloud using Google Docs.
• Sync and Open Files share files with third-party apps Add and delete documents, import files to and export them from iWork, and use services like Dropbox and iCloud to harmonize your files.
• Print from the iPhone Print wirelessly using AirPrint, or use one of several third-party printing apps.
• Sync and Load Learn the best ways to sync your media using itunes, make content iPhone-friendly, and stream from the cloud.
• Music take your musical collection for a spin with the Music app Play music, make playlists, and create tunes in GarageBand.
• Video Watch your movies and tV shows in the Videos app, and make some of your own with Apple’s iMovie for the iPhone.
• Photos and Video take, edit, view, and share photos and videos with the Camera and Photos apps Keep your iPhone photos synced with Photo Stream.
• Reading on the iPhone Read a book on your iPhone Download iBooks and browse the iBookstore, or take advantage of the many third-party ebook apps in the App Store.
• Games Game Center is Apple’s multiplayer gaming service Connect with other players online or in your group of friends, battle for high scores, and buy more games.
• Share and Stream Project your music, videos, photos, and games on your television and beyond.
• Quick-Fix Tips Learn essential tricks for fixing a misbehaving iPhone.
• Common Questions Browse this list of the most common iPhone problems and questions, and find some handy solutions.
• Power Issues Learn what to do to squeeze the most life out of your iPhone’s battery charge.
• Seek Outside Help When your own expertise isn’t enough, find the folks who can help.
• Security Tips Secure your device: utilize passcodes, VPns, and services like MobileMe to protect your iPhone from potential problems.
• Cases Keep your device safe from drops, scrapes, and other mishaps with these cases. Whether you want something stylish, practical, or rugged, there's a case here for you.
• Headphones Get better sound quality, Bluetooth support, and other interesting features, such as noise-canceling technology, when you invest in a good pair of third-party headphones.
• Speakers Find the right iPhone speakers for any setup with our recommendations for every size and budget.
• Other Accessories Check out an assortment of other important iPhone accessories: battery packs, car chargers, video cables, and more.